I recently attended SM4NP and another workshop on Facebook marketing. From them, I’ve distilled the top 5 ways to get more likes on Facebook as a non-profit or business:
- Use rich media like videos, images, and audio in your posts. Videos get 4x more air time on Facebook walls, and images get 2x more.
- Facebook posts that end in question marks are more likely to show up on your follower’s walls. What can you ask to engage more people?
- Blog posts formatted as lists (posted to Facebook) get more hits. What “top 5,” “7 best,” or “10 worst” ideas can you share?
- The “burrito principle” – people check Facebook while their waiting in line for a burrito, spontaneously, and at different times of the day than they check email. Think about and look through your Facebook Insight data to see when your posts get the most play.
- Experiment and use data-driven analysis to craft future strategy when using social media. Think about what made some posts more popular than others: was it the photos? Photos of specific things? Tips or tricks in your industry? One new facet that social media brings to the sphere of marketing is instantaneous data – use them!
Sources: SM4NP and ACSBDC/Chevron’s “Building an Online Presence Seminar 5: Facebook for Customer Engagement” (click for their digital goodies)